Myndert WEMPLE

Male 1830 - 1900  (69 years)

Personal Information    |    Notes    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name Myndert WEMPLE 
    Born 15 Sep 1830  Monroe County, NY Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender Male 
    Died 06 Feb 1900  Garden Grove, IA Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Buried Garden Grove Cemetery, Garden Grove, Decatur County, IA Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Person ID I2208  Wemple Family Ancestry
    Last Modified 13 Dec 2017 

    Father Gerret Becker WEMPLE,   b. 15 Oct 1798, Dutchess County, NY Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 1863, Van Buren County, MI Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 64 years) 
    Mother Dorcas IRWIN,   b. Nov 1810, Mendon, Monroe County, NY Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Nov 1894  (Age ~ 84 years) 
    Married 17 Aug 1826 
    Family ID F609  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family 1 Lucy J. BUTTS,   b. Abt 1830,   d. 06 Apr 1867, Mount Pulaske, IL Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age ~ 37 years) 
    Married 02 Aug 1853 
     1. Frank Yates WEMPLE,   b. 10 Dec 1854,   d. Bef 1944  (Age < 89 years)
     2. Elmer Hatch WEMPLE,   b. 14 Feb 1866,   d. 20 Jul 1866  (Age 0 years)
    Last Modified 13 Dec 2017 
    Family ID F877  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family 2 Amanda A. NYE,   b. 05 Sep 1845, OH Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 30 Apr 1935, Kissimmee, FL Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 89 years) 
    Married 23 Nov 1869  Chesterville, OH Find all individuals with events at this location 
     1. Edith Claire WEMPLE,   b. 17 Jan 1876,   d. Bef 1971  (Age < 94 years)
     2. Irma Nye WEMPLE,   b. 24 Aug 1887, Lincoln, IL Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Bef 1982  (Age < 94 years)
    Last Modified 13 Dec 2017 
    Family ID F878  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Notes 
    • From papers sent to the compiler by Michael L. Wemple, Bay City, MI on September 5, 2000:

      Excerpts from THE ACCOUNT OF P. O. AVERY (page 31)

      . . . April 3rd (1863), at three p.m., yesterday, seventy-five men, under Major Wemple, crossed Wolf River and started out in the direction of Macon, a town six or seven miles north of Lafayette (Tennessee). The object of the expedition was to surprise some guerrillas at their homes, if possible. At Captain Porter's, two miles from Macon, we learned that a force of our men, from another direction, had been there during the day, so we returned to Porter's Mills and bivouacked until morning. It was one o'clock when (we) got to the mills.

      On July 16, 1863, four companies of our regiment, Companies D, E, G, and K, under Major Wemple, accompanied by a detachment from the Third and Ninth Illinois Cavalry and two howitzers from Germantown, all under the command of L. F. McCrelllis, crossed Wolf River with three days' rations, after Richardson again. The latter is slippery as an eel.

      (We) Camped near the plantation of Mr. Sherrid. Early on the morning of the eighteenth I sent Major Wemple of the Fourth Illinois Cavalry with eight companies toward Covington (Tennessee). He went within four miles of Whitley ferry north of Covington and learned that Richardson's command had been crossing the Big Hatchie in squads for two or three days and that they said that I was after them with twenty-five pieces of artillery and three or four thousand men. With the remainder of my command, I proceeded east to Bellmont, Thence returned to Quinn's Mills and camped about halfway between Quinn's Mills and Hickory Wythe where Major Wemple joined me.


      Headquarter, Fourth Illinois Cavalry, Natchez, Mississippi
      September 23, 1864:

      In obedience to orders I took command of the detachments of the Fourth Illinois Cavalry, Twenty-eighth Illinois Infantry, Twenty-ninth Illinois Infantry, Sixth United States Colored Artillery, and Seventy-first United States Colored Infantry on the morning of the 22nd and proceeded to the plantation of Mr. A. K. Farrar. I loaded fifty-one wagons with corn and cotton, brought in forty-seven bales of cotton and one hundred and forty head of cattle. The enemy engaged our rear guard soon after leaving Farrar's and kept up a lively skirmish for six miles. I have no one hurt. One man of the enemy was shot from his horse, supposed to have been killed. Returned to Natchez last night at eleven p. m.

      M. Wemple, Major Commanding
      Fourth Illinois Cavalry

      The following is from an unpublished manuscript sent to the compiler on September 28, 2000 by Michael Lee Wemple of Bay City, MI. and written by William Barent Wemple, compiler of the first part if this genealogy from 1885-1913.

      . . . Writing in 1894, he states
      I was born in the township of Mendon, Monroe County, NY; picked up something of an education in the common schools of the township and had a little of the classics and higher mathematics whipped into me in one or two academies.

      When I came of age, I stated with a couple of extra shirts. a thin pair of breeches and a light heart to find out what the world had in store for me. I left home on the 16th day of September 1851; taught school in East Cleveland, Ohio; the following spring went to Kentucky and taught a class of young men in the town of Warsaw on the Ohio river. From Warsaw I went to Carrol County, Kentucky and taught again. All the time I was teaching, I was studying medicine. I think for a period of three years I never went to bed before one o'clock, except Sunday nights. I attended lectures in the Ohio Medical College at Cincinnati, practiced in Owen County, Kentucky, until November 1856, when I located in Mount Pulaski, Illinois, had a large business and did a great deal of hard work for nothing.

      In August 1861 I was commissioned a captain of company H. 4th regiment, Illinois cavalry, to take rank August 20, or about that date. The regiment was organized at Ottawa, Illinois, when Camp Hunter was established. I was offered the place of Regimental Surgeon, for which I did not care, as I did not think I would be pleased to be confined to the rear. The regiment saw the first of the enemy at Fort Henry, next at Donalson, and next at Pittsburg Landing on the 6th and 7th of April 1862. A hundred other affairs do not count when the survivors remember Donelson and Shiloh (or as the records have it Pittsburg Landing). On account of the ill health of Major Wallace I was placed in command of the 2nd Battalion, of the 4th regiment, consisting of four companies. I mounted about 7 o'clock A.M., of the 6th and I did not think I was out of the saddle more than twenty minutes at any time until nearly noon of Tuesday. On Sunday and Monday nights I happened to have the luck to be selected with part of my command to patrol the space between the two armies. On Monday night I got my orders from General Sherman with an injunction to report in person at sunrise. At that time in company with Lieutenant Fisk and twelve men I was riding leisurely down General Breckenridge's lines, going slow in order to excite no suspicion that we cared a continental for them. We got outside the enemies pickets and when I reported to Sherman and flattered myself that I had earned the place of a general of division, I was told in a torrent of profanity that I had no orders to go inside the rebel lines. A few days afterwards, I had the pleasure of telling him that if he would please notice he would be quite likely to hear of western volunteers going into a number of places without orders. I am now very glad that I am able to say that General Sherman and I were very good friends after our little tiff of April 8, 1862, and I got a number of nice things from him and by him. In August 1862 I was startled by an announcement from Head Quarters that I was to take (the) rank of Major and when my commission arrived the War Governor of Illinois, Dick Yates, had endorsed it 'For meritorious conduct of Pittsburg Landing, April 6th & 7th 1862'. I served with the regiment until November 3, 1864, when I returned to Mount Pulaski, and resumed the practice of medicine, which I kept up until 1871. After being idle about ten years, I went to farming and have kept at it, moving to this state in March 1893 for the purpose of stock farming.

      The Yates in my son's name came from an office mate in Kentucky, W. F. Yates, whom I esteemed very highly.

      The 'B' in my father's name came from the family name of his mother, the Beckers.

Home Page |  What's New |  Most Wanted |  Surnames |  Photos |  Histories |  Documents |  Cemeteries |  Places |  Dates |  Reports |  Sources